Author: Laura Uyemura, RD
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp orange zest
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1½ cups almond flour or almond meal*
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- Pinch salt
- Powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp slivered almonds for decoration
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Prepare a 9 inch cake pan or spring form pan: grease bottom and sides well.
- Cut out a circle of wax paper and fit it into the bottom of the pan. Grease the paper.
- Coat the bottom and sides of the pan with almond flour, shaking out the excess.
- Beat egg yolks, zest, cinnamon, and 2 Tbsp sugar with electric mixer.
- Mix almond flour with 2 Tbsp sugar and stir into the mixture above.
- Beat egg whites, pinch of salt, and 4 Tbsp sugar until soft peaks form.
- Blend a large spoonful of the egg white mixture into the almond mixture with a spatula. (It will be very stiff so mash it in, and add more whites until it’s soft enough to fold in the rest.)
- Fold in the rest of the egg whites.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes until tester comes out clean.
- Cool in pan, then un-mold and turn onto a serving platter.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and slivered almonds.
Makes 12 slices, serving size is one slice
*You can purchase almond flour or almond meal; the latter is ground with skin. You may also grind your own in a food processor or blender, using about 1½ to 2 cups of almonds.
Recipe by gfe--gluten free easily at http://glutenfreeeasily.com/almond-recipes-almond-board/