|Banana Ice Cream (with Dairy-Free, Refined Sugar-Free Options) |
Author: Shirley Braden from Gluten Free Easily
- 3 ½ large bananas, preferably frozen
- 1 can evaporated milk (12 ounces, 1½ cups) or 1 can full-fat coconut milk (13.5 ounces, about 1¾ cup)
- ½ cup brown sugar or coconut palm sugar
- 1 tbsp liqueur, rum, or other alcohol of choice that would be nice when combined when bananas (optional, but preferred; I used American Honey---see notes OR use more vanilla instead)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional, but preferred)
- Add all ingredients to the blender (I used my Vitamix). Slowly increase speed from low to high and blend until smooth, about a minute or two.
- Add mixture to already frozen tub of your ice cream maker. Churn about 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately as soft serve ice cream or transfer to freezer containers and freeze longer for firmer ice cream.
The alcohol helps minimize the ice crystals in ice cream. The dairy version tends to stay nice and soft, like frozen custard, even after freezing a good while. However, the dairy-free version does get quite a bit firmer after freezing. Just let it sit about 5 to 10 minutes before scooping and serving.
Recipe by gfe--gluten free easily at http://glutenfreeeasily.com/banana-ice-cream-with-dairy-free-refined-sugar-free-options/