|Maple Caramel Candy Chews ... Just Three Ingredients |
Author: Shirley Braden from Gluten Free Easily
- 1 ½ cups Medjool dates; pitted, loosely packed, and preferably on the dry side (about 19 to 20)
- 1/8 cup (2 tbsp) maple syrup (I used Grade B maple syrup)
- Almond flour, coconut flour, raw cacao powder, cocoa powder, finely crushed nuts, finely crushed sunflower seeds, finely crushed pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds, etc. for dusting/coating
- Add dates to food processor. Process for about 30 seconds to a minute in spurts. (Note: The dates won’t process that well if they are dry, but that’s okay.)
- Drizzle maple syrup into food processor while it’s running. Process another 10 seconds or so. Use a spatula to scrape the sides of the food processor bowl, so that the dates are covered with maple syrup.
- Let all sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Process date and maple syrup mixture another 30 seconds or so, until most of the mixture turns into ball. The ball can be as smooth as you like. I left mine with some chunks (i.e., 1/8th of an inch chunks) of dates here and there.
- Wet palms of your hands slightly and then roll mixture into balls about the diameter of a nickel (or size preferred).
- Roll in coating (or coatings) of choice noted above or choose your own. (I really liked single coatings of coconut flakes, sliced almonds, and almond flour, but hemp seeds, almond flour, and cocoa powder was also a great combo!)
- Chill, if desired. Store in loosely covered container; they firm up on their own overnight. Makes about 10 walnut-sized treats or 15 or more smaller sized-treats.
Recipe by gfe--gluten free easily at http://glutenfreeeasily.com/maple-caramel-candy-chews-gluten-free-vegan-paleo/