|Mile-High Chocolate Cake from Gluten-Free Entertaining |
Author: Olivia Dupin
Olivia says: "This stunning three-layer cake is made in one bowl and is so simple and delicious you will want to use it for many special occasions, or maybe even no occasion at all."
For pumpkin filling:
- 2 cups (470 ml) milk
- 1 can (14 ounces, or 392 g) pumpkin purée
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 ¼ cups (250 g) sugar
- 5 tablespoons (40 g) cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (112 g) cold unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vanilla extract
- 3 cups (600 g) sugar
- 4 cups (480 g) Liv’s Flour Blend (page 15)
- (OR 2 cups (240 g) cornstarch + 1 cup (120 g) almond flour + 1 cup (120 g) oat flour)
- 2 cups (240 g) cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon (14 g) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups (470 ml) milk
- 1 ½ cups (355 ml) canola oil
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (235 ml) boiling water
- 3 tablespoons (22 g) powdered sugar, for garnish
To make the pumpkin filling:
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk, pumpkin purée, whole eggs, egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Cook over medium heat, whisking frequently, until the mixture begins to bubble. Lower the heat slightly, switch to a rubber spatula, and stir the mixture constantly until it is very thick and resembles pudding. Remove from heat. Add the cold butter and stir until completely melted. Add the vanilla and stir to combine. Pour into a heat-proof container and place plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until completely cooled and set, at least 3 to 4 hours.
To make the cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350˚F (180˚C, or gas mark 4).
- Grease three 8-inch (20 cm) round cake pans. Line the bottoms of the cake pans with parchment paper cut to fit, then grease the paper and set aside.
- In a very large bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour blend, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla and stir to combine. Stir in the boiling water. Distribute the batter evenly among the 3 prepared pans.
- Bake the cakes for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each one comes out clean. Cool for 20 minutes, then run a sharp knife along the edge of each pan and invert each cake onto a cooling rack. Cool completely.
- To assemble the cake, place 1 cake layer on a serving plate. Top with half of the pumpkin filling, then top with a second cake layer, and add the remaining filling. Top with the final cake layer. Dust with the powdered sugar before serving.
This recipe is printed with permission from Olivia Dupin and Quayside Publishing.
If you do not have three pans, you can bake the cakes in batches.
This recipe is also soy-free.
Yield: 12 servings
Chef’s Tip: This cake recipe makes 36 cupcakes. Just fill a cupcake pan three-quarters of the way and bake for about 18 minutes at 350˚F (180˚C, or gas mark 4). Try using the pumpkin filling to stuff the cupcakes and top with your favorite frosting.
Recipe by gfe--gluten free easily at http://glutenfreeeasily.com/mile-high-chocolate-cake-double-strawberry-waffles-gluten-free-entertaining-olivia-dupin/