Salted Caramel Apple Muffins from Sweet Debbie’s Organic Treats
Author: Debbie Adler
Recipe type: Dessert, Breakfast
- 12 standard-size paper baking cups
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 2 teaspoons sodium-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ½ teaspoon guar gum
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- ¼ cup coconut nectar
- ¼ teaspoon stevia powder
- ¾ cup unsweetened plain rice milk
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 small Gala or Granny Smith apple (about 5 ounces), peeled, cored and sliced into ¼-inch pieces
- ½ cup coconut nectar
- ¼ cup sunflower seed butter
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with paper baking cups.
- To make the muffins, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, guar gum and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle.
- Add the grapeseed oil, coconut nectar and stevia and stir to combine. Add the rice milk and applesauce, and stir until the liquid is absorbed and the batter is smooth.
- Fold in about half of the apple pieces.
- For the caramel sauce, mix together the coconut nectar, sunflower seed butter and salt in a small bowl until well blended.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, dividing it evenly. Each cup should be about two-thirds full. Top each with the caramel sauce and the remaining apple pieces.
- Bake the muffins for 16 to 18 minutes, or until they are a light golden brown and bounce back slightly to the touch. Rotate the muffin tin from front to back halfway through baking.
- Transfer the muffin tin to a wire rack and let rest for about 10 minutes before removing the muffins to cool completely.
- Keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.
Reprinted from SWEET DEBBIE’S ORGANIC TREATS by Debbie Adler. Published by Harlequin. Copyright Debbie Adler 2013.
Makes 12 standard-size muffins
Recipe by gfe--gluten free easily at http://glutenfreeeasily.com/salted-caramel-apple-muffins-sweet-debbies-organic-treats-by-debbie-adler/