|Chunky Monkey Muffins from Paleo Parents |
Author: Stacy Toth and Matt McCarry
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup dates*
- ½ cup roasted creamy almond butter (use Sunbutter to make these nut-free)
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup coconut oil, liquefied
- ¼ cup palm shortening
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla
Here's where you choose your own adventure, for the last ingredient you must decide the flavor you'd like! To the mixture add ONE of the following:
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour (for vanilla-based muffins)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder (for chocolate-based muffins)
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- In a food processor, puree together the dates and bananas until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients to food processor and pulse until a thick batter forms (scrape sides to fully incorporate but do not over blend).
- ♥Spoon into lined muffin tin, filling cups ⅔ full.
- ♥Toss topping ingredients together in small bowl, sprinkle on top of each muffin and press gently to get them to "stick."
- Bake at 350 degrees for 16 - 18 minutes.
*We prefer fresh Medjool dates (usually found in the refrigerated produce section of the grocery store). We pit them ourselves and use them directly. If you are unable to find them (or find the cost too prohibitive) you can acquire a similar texture by re-hydrating dehydrated dates. Simply cover with boiling water for ten minutes, drain and use as instructed.
Don’t forget to let your kids help with the easy steps (♥). Sometimes cooking with kids can be a challenge sometimes. Finian poured in an entire ramekin of salt to our original batch (on accident) and although incredibly frustrating, it was a great learning lesson for us all. There are always teaching moments in the kitchen!
Recipe by gfe--gluten free easily at http://glutenfreeeasily.com/gluten-free-chunky-monkey-muffins-paleo-parents/