|Apple-Quinoa Breakfast Muffins from Ricki Heller |
Author: Ricki Heller
- 2 whole medium sweet apples, cored and grated, with or without skin (about 2 cups UNpacked grated apple)
- ⅔ cup coconut sugar (or use brown sugar)
- ⅓ cup sunflower or other light-tasting oil
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped pecans
- ¼ cup raisins or goji berries
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seeds
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond or soy milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 cup Ricki’s All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour Mix (or other all-purpose GF flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp Chinese 5-Spice Powder (or use cinnamon)
- 1 Tbsp whole psyllium husks
- ½ cup gluten-free rolled oats (not instant or quick-cook)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 10 muffin tins with paper or silicone liners, or spray with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the apples, coconut sugar, oil, quinoa, vanilla, apple cider vinegar, pecans, raisins and flax seeds to allow the coconut sugar to begin to dissolve.
- Sift the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 5-Spice powder over the wet mixture. Add the psyllium husks and oats and stir everything just to combine.
- Using a large ice cream scoop or ⅓ cup measuring cup, heap the mixture into the muffin cups, filling them quite full (they will not rise any more while baking, so make the tops as high as you can). The mixture may seem as if it’s not sticking together enough, but don’t worry; it will become more cohesive as it bakes.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, rotating the pans about halfway through baking, until a tester inserted in a center muffin comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before eating (the muffins will be more fragile while warm, but will hold together fine once cool).
Makes 10 muffins. May be frozen.
Notes: The whole psyllium husks are a critical ingredient in this recipe. There are no suitable substitutions for them and they cannot be omitted.
Recipe by gfe--gluten free easily at http://glutenfreeeasily.com/apple-quinoa-breakfast-muffins-ricki-heller/