Author: Shirley Braden (glutenfreeeasily.com)
- 3 large (or extra large) eggs
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup plus 1 tbsp gluten-free all-purpose flour mix (see notes for my mix and alternatives)
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cup coconut flakes/shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Beat eggs and sugar. Add flour, milk, butter, vanilla, and vinegar; mix well. Stir in coconut and pour into greased pie pan. Bake until the top is golden and the filling is set in the center, about 45 minutes. Serve at room temperature. Store any leftovers in your refrigerator.
This is the pie recipe exactly as I make it. (I simply adapted a recipe I had used for years to be crustless and gluten free by replacing the flour in the recipe with gluten-free flour mix and adding an additional ¼ cup gluten-free flour.) I use my all-purpose gluten-free flour mix, but you can use whichever flour you prefer for baked goods, even coconut flour. I recommend sifting coconut flour before adding. (If you are not gluten free, use your "standard" all-purpose flour.) My gluten-free flour mix is 3 parts Asian white rice flour and 2 parts cornstarch. I gently mix three one-lb bags of the Asian white rice flour and two one-lb boxes of cornstarch in a very large bowl and then store the mix in several airtight containers (like glass jars or Tupperware). No refrigeration is needed for this mix.
Many of my friends and support group members have adapted this recipe to fit their own dietary needs. Some friends cut back on the butter. Another makes this pie dairy free by replacing the milk with rice milk and using Earth Balance instead of butter (again, in a lesser amount). She also cuts the sugar in half, increases the gf flour to ⅓ cup, and omits the vinegar. So please don’t be shy about adjusting this recipe slightly. I’d like to make it next time using coconut oil versus butter and coconut milk instead of the cow’s milk. Some readers have done that successfully.
Adapted from meals.com
Recipe by gfe--gluten free easily at http://glutenfreeeasily.com/crustless-coconut-pie-for-holiday-food-fest/