Doesn’t Harvest Trail Mix sound wonderful? It is. It’s so simple … yet so satisfying.
I was headed out for a blogging retreat in the mountains with my good friend Linda of Gluten-Free Homemaker recently and wanted something healthy with a protein boost to snack on during my road trip and in between our meals.
A Harvest Trail Mix came to mind. I thought about the ingredients I had on hand that would make a tasty snack concoction—raw pumpkin seeds, walnuts, sliced almonds, unsweetened coconut flakes, Medjool dates (which were nice and chewy as I’d had them for a while), coconut oil, and honey. And I came up with this trail mix recipe. I loved it and Linda loved it.
The coconut flakes, Medjool dates, coconut oil, and a wee bit of honey (which is added after baking the other ingredients) give this mix just the right amount of sweetness. I am sure I will make this mix again and again. In addition to being ideal for road trips and vacations, this snack mix would also be great to pack for hiking and camping. Add some of this Harvest Trail Mix to a bowl and add milk and you’ll have a tasty breakfast. With some banana slices added to that bowl, you’ll have a terrific breakfast!
Feel free to sub in other seeds and nuts and even add in small amounts of other dried fruits, like cranberries and blueberries, per your own preferences. I think that pretty much any of these combinations are going to yield a very tasty and filling Harvest Trail Mix. Note that if you increase the total amount of mix significantly, you may need to add more coconut oil and more honey.
Harvest Trail Mix Recipe
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds (also known as pepitas)
- 1 cup walnuts, halves or chopped
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes (I use Let’s Do Organic or Tropical Traditions)
- 5 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped (or torn into pieces)
- Scant ¼ cup of coconut oil, liquefied (read notes, I use this brand)
- ½ tsp honey (note: not added until after baking; more can be added to taste; use maple syrup for vegan option)
- Preheat oven to 275F.
- Line a very large baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients except for the honey. Mix well.
- Spread out ingredients on baking sheet.
- Bake 20 minutes, stirring halfway through baking time.
- Remove baking sheet from oven. Immediately add honey and stir well. Let cool.
- Store in a sealable container. Munch and enjoy!
This post is linked to Hearth and Soul Blog Hop.