You just hit the lottery. No, not the Powerball lottery, but the Power Ball lottery. And you didn’t even have to offer up any money. I give you the perfect sweet enough protein “power” treat! You see … my need for chocolate treat recipes sans chocolate chips ( recently demonstrated by my Flourless Chocolate (Cocoa) Cookies) continues. And there’s a new component. When I make chocolate treats without chocolate chips, I need some built-in portion control.
Extracting the last little bit of almond butter from my jar and adding in a few other simple ingredients, including cacao (or cocoa) powder, I easily created these Power Balls. Almond butter, cacao (or cocoa) powder, coconut flour, and honey make for Power Balls with a slightly bittersweet taste and creamy texture which I simply love.
I ate both of my Power Balls midafternoon and my chocolate and sweet cravings were satisfied. I loved that! But I think next time, I might just split up my treats … one for midmorning and one for midafternoon or maybe one for midafternoon and one for a late-night snack. Or maybe one for midafternoon and one for dessert after dinner. Hmmm, maybe there’s just enough almond butter left in that jar …
- 1 heaping tbsp almond butter
- 2 tsp raw cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 1 to 2 tsp coconut flour, sifted (more or less, as needed; see directions)
- ½ tsp raw honey (or other sweetener for vegan option--such as maple syrup, stevia, coconut sugar, agave nectar; adjust amount as needed)
- Using a small spoon, mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Let sit about 2 minutes. See if you can easily roll the mixture into a ball. It should be only slightly sticky.
- If the mixture cannot be rolled into a ball easily, mix in up to 1 tsp more coconut flour and let the mixture sit again for about 2 minutes.
- Roll into two balls, each about the size of a nickel in diameter. Or make one larger than the other if you’ll need more of power hit at one time of the day than the other.