Gluten-Free Maple Pecan Banana Muffins
Kylie says: “Most people enjoy a good old-fashioned banana muffin. They make a tasty breakfast alternative or mid-morning or afternoon snack. However, by adding maple syrup and toasted pecans, you can take the humble banana muffin and turn it into a new taste sensation! p.s. Be sure to read my notes on cup measurements for this recipe.”
- 104g (3.7 ounces or ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon) superfine white rice flour
- 50g (1.8 ounces or ⅓ cup) superfine brown rice flour
- 33g (1.2 ounces or 3 tablespoons) potato starch (see notes)
- 24g (0.8 ounces or 3 tablespoons) tapioca starch
- 21g (0.7 ounces or 3 tablespoons) cornstarch
- 132g (4.7 ounces or ¾ cup) light muscovado sugar or light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon (2.5ml) ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25ml) salt
- 228g (8.0 ounces or 1 cup) mashed very ripe bananas
- 104g (3.7 ounces or ½ cup) melted coconut oil
- 125ml (½ cup) dairy free milk of choice
- 60ml (¼ cup) pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) pure vanilla extract
Stir Through Ingredient
- 50g (1.8 ounces or ½ cup) roughly chopped toasted pecan nuts
- 36g (1.3 ounces or ⅓ cup) roughly chopped pecan nuts
- Demerara sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400F (200 °C = 180 °C Fan = 400 °F = Gas Mark 6).
- While the oven is preheating, place the chopped pecans in a cake pan or tray, toast them until lightly golden and then place in a bowl to cool.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together and set aside. (Important: For accurate cup measurements, I sift the potato starch before measuring, so that there are no lumps/clumps. All cup measurements are firmly packed.)
- In another bowl, whisk together the mashed banana, milk, coconut oil, vanilla extract and the maple syrup.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients, mixing until combined, before stirring through the chopped pecans.
- Fill each liner to approximately ¾ full. Now sprinkle a few of the chopped pecan nuts over each muffin and approximately a scant ½ teaspoon of the Demerara sugar.
- Bake for approximately 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the tin for 2 minutes, before transferring them to a wire rack to cool.
Makes 12 muffins.
All cup measurements are firmly packed. For accurate cup measurements, I sift the potato starch before measuring, so that there are no lumps/clumps.
These muffins are best served warm.
Recipe by gfe--gluten free easily at https://glutenfreeeasily.com/gluten-free-maple-pecan-banana-muffins/