Maple-Nut Ice Cream Sundae
This Maple-Nut Ice Cream Sundae is really every bit as good as the one you can get at the famous Carl's Frozen Custard!
Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1/3 cup agave nectar or honey
- 3 cups full-fat coconut milk, chilled (2 cans)
- 1 ½ - 2 tsp vanilla extract (I used my homemade vanilla extract)
- some scraping from inside one vanilla bean (optional, to taste)
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts (or walnut halves)
Vanilla Ice Cream Instructions
- Mix all together in bowl with mixer or in blender.
- Add to ice cream maker and churn 20 to 30 minutes.
- Chill in freezer after churning if needed.
- Scoop and top with maple-nut syrup (recipe below).
Maple-Nut Syrup Instructions
- Combine agave nectar, maple syrup, and water in sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil slowly, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat and simmer until syrup thickens, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in walnuts; simmer about 5 minutes more. Mixture will thicken upon standing.
- Cool enough to serve warm (but not hot) over ice cream or refrigerate and serve later.
I used a very heavy pan that was much larger than needed so I would not have to worry about stirring constantly to keep the mixture from burning.
I loved the process. As the mixture simmered and bubbled, it put on quite a show as you can see from the photo above.
The syrup will “harden” quite a bit in the refrigerator. Therefore, reheating or at least allowing syrup to return to room temperature may be necessary if it has been chilled for a long period of time.
Recipe by gfe--gluten free easily at https://glutenfreeeasily.com/maple-nut-sundae/