Gluten-Free Brazilian Un-Cheese Rolls (Grain Free and Vegan)
You will be surprised at these yummy gluten-free rolls that have a cheesy flavor and nice soft middle. Make them larger for sandwich rolls/hamburger rolls if you like. Great way to use leftover hummus.
- ¾ cup dairy-free milk (I use almond milk or coconut milk)
- ½ cup red pepper hummus (homemade or healthy, purchased brand; garlic hummus is nice in this recipe, too)
- 1 cup almond flour, packed
- 2/3 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp coconut flour, sifted
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease or line one large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add milk and then hummus, stirring until fairly well mixed.
- Add almond flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add coconut flour. Mix and let sit for about 3 to 5 minutes, until batter is visibly thicker---like biscuit dough---when stirred.
- Drop a heaping teaspoon of batter onto the baking sheet and then drop a little more on top of that. That second dollop of batter on top the first is important. Without it, your biscuits will be too thin and cook too quickly. (Using a larger serving utensil like an ice cream scoop might be a workable solution that would allow one “dollop” only, but I didn’t try that.) When dropped, batter will not spread past a 3-inch radius, and will not spread further when baked. So batter for the biscuits may be dropped fairly close together.
- Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes. Tops will take on a light golden appearance and look done, and bottoms of biscuits will be a nice even brown.
- Makes about one dozen 3-inch biscuits. (See notes for making larger biscuits.)
If you want to make large sandwich/hamburger rolls, add another dollop or so of batter and spread the batter to the diameter you'd like for your biscuits/rolls.
Inspired by Deanna's (The Mommy Bowl) Gun Powder Biscuits.
Recipe by gfe--gluten free easily at https://glutenfreeeasily.com/secret-ingredient-biscuits-brazilian-uncheese-rolls-biscuits-grain-free-vegan/