Creamy Slow Cooker Swiss Steak (Gluten Free)
Finally, a Slow Cooker Swiss Steak recipe that is worthy! Not too many tomatoes, not too thin on the sauce, but perfectly flavored in a creamy sauce that's just thick enough.
- Place meat in slow cooker. (I recommend a large oval crockpot or the Ninja 3-in-1 cooking system for this recipe.)
- Sprinkle flour over meat. Use fingers to press flour into meat. Flip meat and repeat.
- Add tomatoes, coconut milk, garlic, Italian seasoning, sea salt, and pepper to large mixing bowl. Mix ingredients well with hand mixer. If you have an immersion blender and like a very smooth sauce without chunks of tomato, you can use that. I recommend using it for about 30 seconds to further blend the mixture.
- Stir mushrooms and onion slices into the mixture.
- Pour mixture over roast in slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. Check for doneness at 8 hours. Roast should easily cut, but not fall apart. If you want a “fall-apart” roast, continue cooking for a while longer.
The sauce that results from this slow-cooked Swiss Steak is its own wonderful gravy, but it also could be used to make a separate traditional gravy to be used for other meals. Admittedly, Mr. GFE and I are not big gravy folks, so I simple spooned some additional sauce on our servings of Swiss Steak each time we enjoyed it. I added the remaining sauce to my freezer container for future Everything Soup.
Courses Main Dish
Recipe by gfe--gluten free easily at https://glutenfreeeasily.com/slow-cooker-swiss-steak-gluten-free/