The GFE Version of the Shamrock Shake (Gluten Free, Grain Free, Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free, Corn Free, Vegan … Healthy!)
At this time of year, I used to indulge in a McDonald’s Shamrock Shake. It was sweet, creamy, and minty and that made it very desirable to me. Until I went gluten free and started looking at the ingredients in every product I consumed or used. The following listing shows the current ingredients in a McDonald’s Shamrock Shake. (Note: This information comes directly from McDonald’s website under the nutrition info on the Shamrock Shake.)
McDonald’s Shamrock Shake
Vanilla Ice Cream: Milk, sugar, cream, nonfat milk solids, corn syrup solids, mono- and diglycerides, guar gum, dextrose, sodium citrate, artificial vanilla flavor, sodium phosphate, carrageenan, disodium phosphate, cellulose gum, vitamin A palmitate.
Shamrock Shake syrup: High fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, water, sugar, natural flavor (plant source), xanthan gum, citric acid, sodium benzoate (preservative), yellow 5, blue 1.
Whipped Cream: Cream, nonfat milk, water, corn syrup, sugar, high fructose corn syrup, mono-and diglycerides, carrageenan, polysorbate 80, beta carotene (color), natural (dairy and vegetable source) and artificial flavor, mixed tocopherols (vitamin E) to protect flavor. Whipping Propellant (nitrous oxide).
Cherries: Cherries, water, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, malic acid, citric acid, natural (plant source) and artificial flavors, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), red 40, sulfur dioxide as preservative (contains sulfites).
Still want that McDonald’s Shamrock Shake? I know I sure don’t.
I shared this info on my gfe Facebook page and one reader summed it up as “’corn and preservatives.” Yeah, pretty much. And while a McDonald’s Shamrock Shake is gluten free, as you can see it does contain dairy, sugar (the worst kind in my opinion—that same high fructose corn syrup that’s discussed in the television ads that try to convince us that “sugar is sugar”, which apparently even the FDA had some issues with, but probably not for the reason you’d expect), artificial flavors and colors, and lots of other, well, chemicals. Not what I want to consume. So I created my own version of the Shamrock Shake, which is gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar free, corn-free, vegan, and more, but oh so good! Only four ingredients and they’re all real ingredients! Incidentally, this shake is a slight variation of my Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream … which would also be wonderful to make for St. Patrick’s Day. Enjoy!
- 2¾ cups full-fat coconut milk, chilled
- ⅔ cup maple syrup (more or less, to taste)
- ¼ cup fresh baby spinach (be sure to discard the stems)
- 2 tsp peppermint extract (or 1 tbsp peppermint schnapps for a still “mild,” but adult version)
- Mix ingredients in blender until there are no visible particles from the spinach leaves. Pour mixture into the pre-frozen tub of your ice cream maker. Set blender pitcher aside.
- Churn for about 10 to 15 minutes. Check consistency at 10 minutes; churn additional minutes if needed.
- If you accidentally freeze too much and don’t get enough of a shake consistency, spoon mixture back into blender and blend on high for about 30 seconds. Pour into desired size glasses and serve, with spoon or straw.
- Makes one massive shake (worthy of two straws!), about two 2-cup servings, or about 4 smaller servings.
UPDATE: You can obviously now see the recipe for my Shamrock Shake above. I have a guest post up over at Beth’s Tasty Yummies today. If you haven’t visited Beth’s blog before, you’re in for a treat overall. Beth has been gluten free for 7 years, has become dairy free more recently, and eats mostly vegetarian/vegan. She also gave up processed foods a few years back. I also love that Beth describers herself as “yoga obessed” in her sidebar. But it was her Sweet Potato and Black Bean Patties that first lured me to her site after seeing them on Pinterest. Now I can’t stay away! Beth is a lovely person who creates some equally lovely recipes—all truly tasty yummies. So what’s my guest post at Beth’s? Well, of course, it’s my version of the Shamrock Shake, which is gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar free, corn-free, vegan, and more, but oh so good! Only four ingredients and they’re all real ingredients! A guest tasty yummy if you will. Incidentally, this shake is a slight variation of my Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream … which would also be wonderful to make for St. Patrick’s Day tomorrow. Head right over to Beth’s to get your healthy, but still totally delightful Shamrock Shake recipe! Hope you have lots of fun on St. Patrick’s Day, find your pot of gold, tip back a great gluten-free beer, etc. Hmm, what is one really supposed to say on St. Patrick’s Day? Maybe “YUM!” and “Drink up!” when it comes to my Shamrock Shake!
This post is linked to Wellness Weekend.
Not just gf, but gfe!
- Get gfe posts (including recipes) by email.
- “Like” gfe—glutenfreeeasily on Facebook to see updates/more content.
- Catch up with me on Twitter.
- Looking for a gfe recipe?
- Get the best gluten-free desserts recipes at All Gluten-Free Desserts.
- Local to Fredericksburg, VA area? Check out Support Group & Events page.