There are over 100 reasons that you should get Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry by my dear friend Elana Amsterdam. Those reasons include the nearly 100 recipes in this cookbook; Elana’s 10 years of experience eating paleo and developing grain-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free paleo recipes; and, specifically, Elana’s Paleo Bread and Flourless Nut-Free Brownies recipes, which Elana and Ten Speed Press are graciously allowing me to share with you today.
Have you ever looked at some gluten-free recipes and just about cried when you saw all the ingredients and multiple steps? That has never, ever, been an issue with Elana’s recipes. Her recipes always have just a handful of real food ingredients and that’s what you taste when you eat her main dishes, sides, salads, beverages, and treats. Real food. There’s nothing weird in taste or texture. I love that fact and I especially love that her recipes show others that living gluten free (and more free) doesn’t have to be difficult in any way. While Elana’s does use a few ingredients that are not ones you can pick up at your average grocery store, they are worth the purchase and will become ones you rely on in the future.
I’ve made only the Paleo Bread and Flourless-Nut Free Brownies thus far from Elana’s latest cookbook, but my “to make” list is almost as long as the table of contents in Paleo Cooking!
Elana’s Paleo Bread is excellent. I’ve made it three times and it made us all quite happy. In fact, each time I have made it, I am newly surprised how good it is! It’s super simple to make, too. For a gluten-free bread, particularly grain-free bread, that is saying a lot! (See recipe at the bottom of this post.)
As one who loves flourless recipes of all kinds, I simply had to make Elana’s Flourless Nut-Free Brownies. They are better than even I could have possibly expected. In a word, they are fabulous! Mr. GFE’s review: “Delicious! Tastes like a real brownie to me.” Again, these brownies are just wonderful and the hardest part of making these brownies is waiting for them to cool so you can sample one! (See recipe at the bottom of this post.)
I have even more of reason to love this cookbook than Elana’s previous two cookbooks—The Almond Flour Cookbook and Gluten-Free Cupcakes: 50 Irresistible Recipes Made with Almond and Coconut Flour, which are already favorites. Why? Elana mentioned me and my gfe blog in the introduction to her Upside Down Apple Tartlets recipe! That was such a nice thing to do—thank you, Elana! I love it when those in the gluten-free community share the “wealth,” so to speak. Incidentally, you can get the recipe for those lovely Upside Down Apple Tartlets over at Cook IT Allergy Free. Kim is also doing a giveaway for Elana’s new book, but hurry on over as her giveaway ends Wednesday, June 26!
UPDATE: This giveaway is now closed. The winners and their comments are shown below:
Carolyn ~ “More Paleo recipes! Yes, I need these recipes.”
Heather ~ “”I am new to Paleo and a 14 months strict gluten free. I am excited to find new recipes that are healthy and healthful yet still delicious!! This book is exactly what I’m looking for! Congrats on the Bestseller!!”
Congratulations, Carolyn and Heather! Thanks to all of you who entered this giveaway. Stay tuned for more book and cookbook giveaways, including more paleo cookbooks! And, of course, if you didn’t win, you can simply order a copy of Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry via Amazon here if you like. The current price is great!
This giveaway will end Wednesday, July 3. There will be two winners. To enter the giveaway here on gfe, please do the following:
~ Simply leave a comment on why you are interested in paleo cooking and/or this new cookbook from Elana. (required)
~ Share the giveaway on Facebook. Leave a comment saying you did. (optional)
~ Share the giveaway on Twitter. Leave a comment saying you did. (optional)
~ Share the giveaway via Google+ or Pinterest. Leave a comment saying you did. (optional)
Note that the winners will be chosen by the Pick a Giveaway Winner tool and contacted via email. If there is no response within 24 hours, a new winner will be selected.
Get more chances to win Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry by visiting my other gluten-free blogger friends below! They are also sharing more recipes so you get more of a preview as well.
If you’re not into giveaways, you can simply click here to order Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry right now.
Here are Elana’s recipes for Flourless, Nut-Free Brownies and Paleo Bread, respectively.
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup Spectrum all-vegetable shortening
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish with shortening.
- In a medium saucepan over very low heat, melt the chocolate chips until smooth. Remove the pan from the heat, then mix in the shortening and coconut sugar. Stir in the eggs and vanilla extract until thoroughly combined. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached.
- Let the brownies cool in the baking dish for 1 hour. Cut into 16 squares and serve.
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup golden flax meal
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted over very low heat
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 7 by 3-inch loaf pan with coconut oil.
- In a food processor, pulse together the almond flour, flax meal, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the eggs, coconut oil, honey, and vinegar and pulse until thoroughly combined.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan for 1 hour, then serve.
Recipes reprinted with permission from Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry: Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes by Elana Amsterdam (Ten Speed Press, 2013). Photos Credit: Leigh Beisch.
Full disclosure: One copy of this cookbook was provided for my review and one copy was provided for this giveaway. Both were free of charge from Ten Speed Press. However, the opinions expressed in this review are explicitly my own. I am providing the second giveaway copy.
Not just gf, but gfe!
- Get gfe posts (including recipes) by email.
- “Like” gfe—glutenfreeeasily on Facebook to see updates/more content.
- Catch up with me on Twitter.
- Looking for a gfe recipe?
- Get the best gluten-free desserts recipes at All Gluten-Free Desserts.
- Local to Fredericksburg, VA area? Check out Support Group & Events page.