Some of you might remember my review of Olivia “Liv” Dupin’s second cookbook, Gluten-Free Entertaining: More than 100 Naturally Wheat-Free Recipes for Parties and Special Occasions, a while ago. I shared both Olivia’s gluten-free Mile-High Chocolate Cake recipe and her gluten-free Double Strawberry Waffles recipe in that post when I first published it, but these lovely waffles tended to get “lost” in that post so I decided they needed their own post. Don’t you agree?
There are three main sections in Gluten-Free Entertaining: Planning the Perfect Pantry, Celebrating the Holidays, and Special Occasions, with specific meal plans that fall under those sections. Olivia’s beautiful Double Strawberry Waffles are part of the “Easter Brunch” section in her cookbook.
Olivia says: “These crisp, fluffy waffles get a double dose of strawberries with some mixed into the batter and fresh strawberries served on top. The waffle batter could be prepared one day in advance, but only mix in the strawberries right before they go into the waffle iron.” Olivia also adds that it’s fine to substitute any other fruit or even chocolate chips. Now we’re talking! Either way, these waffles would certainly perk up any breakfast or a “brinner.”
In Gluten-Free Entertaining, Olivia offers you 14 complete meal plans/recipe groupings, which can be used “as is” or you can use the individual recipes in these groupings any time you would like. You don’t have to be hosting an event or be on a date (one section is titled “Impress a Date Night”) to appreciate meals such as Baked Salmon with Roasted Tomatoes, Garlic Shrimp, Green Bean and Bacon Casserole (a sort of “grown-up” version of that other ubiquitous holiday Green Bean Casserole), Lemony Sugar Snap Peas, Crepes with Cannoli Cream, Easy Vanilla Cupcakes, or Mom’s Chocolate Chip Cookies. Yum! I love a cookbook that has a mix of sweet and savory recipes for us to enjoy!
And now for her Gluten-Free Double Strawberry Waffles recipe because I think all of us need really good waffles in our lives and strawberries are readily available right now!
Gluten-Free Double Strawberry Waffles Recipe
Gluten-Free Double Strawberry Waffles
Olivia says: "These crisp, fluffy waffles get a double dose of strawberries with some mixed into the batter and fresh strawberries served on top. The waffle batter could be prepared one day in advance, but only mix in the strawberries right before they go into the waffle iron."
- 2⅔ cups (320 g) Liv’s Flour Blend (page 15) OR 1⅓ cups (170 g) cornstarch + ⅔ cup (80 g) almond flour + ⅔ cup (80 g) gluten-free oat flour (made from certified gluten-free purity protocol oats)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (120 ml) cream
- 1 cup (235 ml) well-shaken low-fat buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons (112 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups (510 g) diced strawberries, divided
- Maple syrup, for serving
- Combine the flour blend, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk in the eggs, cream, buttermilk, butter, and vanilla. Gently stir in 1 cup (170 g) of the diced strawberries.
- Cook according to your waffle maker’s instructions. Repeat with the remaining batter to make 6 waffles. Top them with the remaining 2 cups (340 g) strawberries and serve with the maple syrup.
This recipe is printed with permission from Olivia Dupin and Quayside Publishing.
This recipe is also soy free.
Yield: 6 Belgian waffles or slightly more standard waffles
Courses Breakfast or Brunch
Disclosure: This cookbook was provided to me by Olivia Dupin and Quayside Publishing, but all opinions expressed in this post are my own.