I don’t know about you, but I think that a chocolate milkshake is one of the very best things in the world! The mug in the photo should probably say, “I love the little things in life … shoes, handbags, jewelry, and chocolate milkshakes.”
This gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, and vegan milkshake was the result of throwing together very ripe bananas and some leftover coconut milk (both of which I wanted to use right away) plus a few more ingredients that just “felt right.” The results are just thick enough, creamy enough, and chocolaty enough—for an overall delicious Chocolate “Milkshake.” In fact, this milkshake is so delicious, so satisfying, that you’ll be willing your bananas to over ripen so you can make your own!
By the way, if you want to change things up a bit and you are a cherry lover, you’ll want to check out my Chocolate Cherry Milkshake as well! (I think that chocolate and cherries are a match made in heaven.)
Chocolate Milkshake Recipe
- 3 very ripe bananas (frozen bananas will create more of a true shake effect, but room temp bananas will work)
- 1 ¼ cup, full-fat canned coconut milk, chilled
- 3 dates; fresh, soft, and pitted (soak if necessary, see notes)
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 cup very cold filtered water
- 2 tbsp raw cacoa powder (or cocoa powder), or more to taste
- Add all to high-speed blender (I used my Vitamix) and start out on low speed increasing slowly to high speed until smooth.
- Makes about four 8-ounce servings.
For additional thickness and optimum temperature, feel free to add a few ice cubes, if needed. If soaking dates, soak them in boiling water a few minutes. Drain. (Reserve water in jar in refrigerator for smoothie later.)