The creator of today’s recipe calls her muffins gluten-free Muffins That Taste Like Donuts but I’m thinking they really should be called gluten-free Muffins That Taste Like Gluten-Full Donuts. Those donuts we remember from our “before” days.
Let’s learn more about this new recipe for March Muffin Madness (MMM) and today’s recipe contributor and then we’ll get to today’s giveaway and the grand prize giveaway. I don’t know about you but I love spending part of my days seeing what’s new and wonderful on MMM!
See the whole lineup of bloggers, blogs, and muffin recipes here.
Everyday Gluten-Free Gourmet
I met Cinde Little via Twitter several years back. I was smitten with her beautiful and super appealing recipes! Cinde writes the Everyday Gluten Free Gourmet blog and teaches cooking classes in her home in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. (You can even get a sneak peek of her kitchen when you check out her About page!)
Cinde encourages everyone to just get in the kitchen and cook as she is a passionate home cook herself. Her philosophy is that “food restrictions are real and learning to accommodate them is an important skill.” I couldn’t agree more. Focusing on real food, which Cinde does, makes that so much easier to accomplish!
Gluten-Free Muffins That Taste Like Donuts
Cinde says: “These gluten-free Muffins That Taste Like Donuts are delicate cake-like mini-muffins dipped in cinnamon-sugar. They remind me of the donut holes my grandmother used to make but they are baked in the oven.”
- Batter Ingredients
- 1⅓ cups GF flour (I used my GF flour mix
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ cup sour cream or yogurt (first amount)
- ¼ cup butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sour cream or yogurt (second amount)
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- Cinnamon-Sugar Topping Ingredients
- ¼ cup melted butter for dipping
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt and nutmeg. Whisk the dry mixture until evenly combined.
- With electric mixer on low add the sour cream (first amount) and butter. Beat for 2 minutes.
- In another bowl combine eggs, sour cream (second amount) and vanilla. Add half the mixture to the large bowl and beat until mixed in. Add the remainder of the mixture then increase speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Grease mini-muffin tins or use paper liners. Using a small scoop fill muffin tins ½ to ¾ full. (Note: If they are too full they will rise over the top of the pan and break when you try to remove them.)
- Bake in 350°F oven for 18 minutes, do not under cook.
- Cool on rack 5-10 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from the pan. Cool completely on wire racks (or as long as you can wait!).
Cinnamon-Sugar Topping Instructions
- Melt butter in small bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl combine sugar and cinnamon. Divide the mixture into 2 bowls.
- Dip the top of each muffin into melted butter then into the cinnamon-sugar. When there are too many lumps of butter in the sugar change to the other bowl.
Makes 48 mini muffins.
Do not overfill muffin cups. If they are too full they will rise over the top of the pan and break when you try to remove them.
One rule of gluten free baking is to let your baking cool before eating it. But really, I think you should try some of these when they are still warm. Just because you can.
More of Cinde’s Gluten-Free Muffin Recipes (and More) That You Should Check Out
~ Brazilian Cheese Bread (irresistible!)
~ Chocolate Chip Cookie Pizza (she gives you lots of topping variations—perfect for parties!)
~ Homemade Gluten-Free Worcestershire Sauce (an important recipe for anyone who lives in Canada because ready-made Worcestershire sauce there is not gluten free)
Update: All the giveaways are now closed. Congratulations to the winners and thanks to all who participated!
(Signed copies of the following; two winners for each.)
The giveaway of both these cookbooks is co-sponsored by my friend, author Jeanne Sauvage (Art of Gluten-Free Baking), and by gfe. Both books are about making classic, favorite recipes, just “gluten free.” Or I should say, “gluten free and absolutely delicious.”
Check them out on Amazon and/or read my earlier reviews on gfe, here and here, respectively. To enter the giveaway for these cookbooks, simply leave a comment on this post saying which one you’d like to win. (“Both” is a perfectly acceptable answer! Although only one cookbook per person will be awarded, of course.)
Remember that your comment on this post (and every post during MMM) also gives you another entry into the grand prize giveaway! Read more below. So many fabulous items! Winners for all prizes will be selected on Wednesday, April 11, at midnight Eastern. All MMM giveaways are open to everyone, everywhere!
Grand Prize Giveaway
See all 10 prizes here. Shown are the top six prizes (according to monetary value). Again, this giveaway is open to everyone, everywhere!
Originally published March 23, 2018; updated June 2017, 2020.