What’s that you say? It’s January, not a fall day or Thanksgiving time. I hear you, but, truly, there is no wrong time for pumpkin pie, folks. So here’s another installment of the Pumpkin Pie Plus series, and trust me, you’ll want to make this recipe for the Best Pumpkin Pie Ever … immediately. Here’s the back story. Reader, Raye Ann, just commented on the original gfe Crustless, Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie post that she had experimented and made a dairy-free version of my pumpkin pie. She shared her adaptation in comments.
Raye Ann went on to say that she took two of her pies to a church function where both were quickly eaten and she heard one fellow say that her pie was one of the best pumpkin pies he’d ever eaten. Oh my. That was quite a recommendation, so I had to check out this recipe. Timing was good since I have a support group meeting tonight and didn’t have any desserts planned.
Plus, as it turns out Sunday was National Pie Day. Hey, I’m game, even if I’m a couple of days late. Pies are one of our very favorite baked goods in this house.
So I had to make Raye Ann’s crustless, gluten-free, dairy-free pumpkin pie. First thing this morning, I quickly mixed all the ingredients including fresh (and thawed) pumpkin puree that I had frozen a few months back. The verdict? Oh my goodness, you all, this pie is awesome! I really do think the title, “Best Pumpkin Pie Ever” is merited. My mainstay gluten-free pumpkin pie is very popular here at gfe (it’s THE most popular recipe, in fact) and gets rave reviews—and it really should—but I think this version kicks that pie to the curb. Or at least to the back of the refrigerator.
There is no coconut flavor, but the canned, full-fat coconut milk provides the creamiest texture you can imagine and the pie sets up very nicely. Per usual, nobody will even notice that it’s crustless. Everyone will just be focusing on how good it is!
If you’re new to gfe, you may not know about the crustless pie concept. I encourage you to check out the original pumpkin pie post where I talk about the concept and search on crustless pie (below the header in the top right corner of my site; or you can just look under Recipes) and then start baking. You will be happy. I’m totally delighted to add this version of Raye Ann’s to the crustless repertoire. Incidentally, I love that this dairy-free version is also healthier for you. A cup of coconut milk versus evaporated milk? That’s an easy choice.
Best Pumpkin Pie Ever and It's Crustless, Gluten Free, and Dairy Free
- 2 eggs (see notes for egg-free, vegan version)
- 1 can (16 ounces) pumpkin or 2 cups cooked fresh pumpkin (I used fresh pumpkin that I had frozen, hence, the lighter color and fresh pumpkin also provides a much lighter taste in my opinion)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar (or coconut palm sugar)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup full-fat, canned coconut milk
- ¼ cup gluten-free flour (your choice—your favorite single flour or my gluten-free flour mix; sift if needed; use coconut flour for a grain-free option)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease pie plate and set aside.
- In large bowl, beat eggs slightly; mix in remaining ingredients.
- Place pie plate on oven rack; pour in filling. (I almost never do this latter step, but it makes sense. Personally, I’m in the “hum” or “count as you carry the pie to the oven” school of thinking to ensure the pie plate contents do not spill. Hey, it works for me!)
- Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake until knife or toothpick comes out clean, about 45 minutes longer. (Pies made with fresh pumpkin sometimes take slightly longer to bake due to higher moisture content if excess water is not drained before adding to recipe.)
Flax or chia gel "eggs" can be used in place of the chicken eggs.You can find my favorite gluten-free flour mix here.You can use 1 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or "round up" to 2 tsp) in place of the individual spices.
Other fabulous gluten-free, dairy-free pumpkin pies:
Linda (Gluten-Free Homemaker) (using almond milk) Dairy-Free Pumpkin Pie
Karina (Gluten-Free Goddess) Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Sea (Book of Yum) Gluten-Free, Allergen-Free, Vegan Coconut Pumpkin Pie
This post is linked to Hearth and Soul Blog Hop.