I realized that I hadn’t shared any new pumpkin recipes yet this fall, so just last night I decided to do a pumpkin series this week. So I’m kicking off my Pumpkin Pie Plus ... series with a Pumpkin Pie Smoothie topped with Honey Cinnamon Whipped Cream!
I adore pumpkin pie but making a pumpkin pie can be dangerous, you know?! This Pumpkin Pie Smoothie is the perfect solution in lieu of pumpkin pie.
I had one for breakfast right before I headed out the door to work this morning. Perfect for a Monday morning or any morning … or a snack .. or a dessert. You get the picture—enjoy!
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie Recipe
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
I absolutely love pumpkin pie, but I don't always want pie. This Pumpkin Pie Smoothie does the trick for me though! Top with Honey Cinnamon Whipped Cream for the ultimate treat.
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, chilled (fresh or canned)
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk, chilled
- ½ cup filtered water
- 1 sliced, frozen ripe banana
- 1 tbsp almond flour (optional)
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds (optional)
- A tablespoon or two of raw honey (or agave nectar or maple syrup), to taste
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice, or more to taste
- Honey cinnamon (or maple cinnamon) whipped cream, optional for topping (see recipe below)
- Prepare glasses by dipping rims into shallow bowl of water and then cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Combine all ingredients in blender. Cover and blend on high until smooth, about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Pour into prepared glasses or pint-sized Mason jars as I did.
- Top with a small dollop of honey-cinnamon whipped cream or maple-cinnamon whipped cream. Serve.
This smoothie recipe was inspired by a recipe from the Mother Nature News Network. That recipe used pumpkin, evaporated milk, and yogurt only.
This smoothie recipe is more allergen-free and also packs more of a nutritional punch while still offering a luscious pumpkin pie-flavored treat.
Note that I used fresh pumpkin puree, which is lighter in color than canned pumpkin. Fresh pumpkin puree also has a higher moisture content than canned pumpkin, so if using canned pumpkin, you may need to add additional water to get your smoothie to the right drinking consistency. (FYI---I baked my sugar pumpkins whole this time, following the method that clever Kelly of The Spunky Coconut uses. Baking via that method yields the very beautiful pumpkins shown in the series badge.)
Chia seeds can be used instead of hemp seeds. I used hemp because it is less noticeable in the mixture. If serving this smoothie to children, hemp seed might be preferable.
If your ingredients for the smoothie aren’t already chilled and your banana is not sliced and frozen, just add several ice cubes when blending to achieve the same effect.
However, Honey Cinnamon Whipped Cream does require chilling of coconut milk at least overnight, preferably longer, so plan ahead.
Honey Cinnamon Whipped Cream Recipe
Honey Cinnamon Whipped Cream
This Honey Cinnamon Whipped Cream is the perfect dairy-free topping for not only smoothies but pie, ice cream, and much more!
- 1 cup of coconut “cream”
- ¼ cup honey (or slightly less maple syrup)
- ½ tsp cinnamon, to taste
- The day or night before preparing, chill one can of coconut milk, your mixing bowl, and beaters in refrigerator. (I try to keep 2 cans of full-fat coconut milk in the refrigerator at all times for making ice cream and whipped cream.)
- Skim about one cup of the “cream” off the top … that’s what I’m calling the thick, non-liquid substance that forms when you refrigerate full-fat coconut milk for at least 24 hours in the coldest part of your refrigerator.
- Add the coconut cream to a chilled bowl.
- Whip coconut cream with chilled beaters until it reaches its whipped cream state.
- Gradually add honey (or maple syrup), then cinnamon. Whip again until it turns to whipped cream with at least soft peaks remaining when you stop whipping.
Chill whipped cream if you are not going to use immediately.
More Pumpkin Smoothie Recipes from Gluten-Free Friends
~ Healthy Pumpkin Shake from Healthy Green Kitchen
~ Paleo Pumpkin Coconut Smoothie from Cook Eat Paleo
~ Paleo Pumpkin Persimmon Smoothie (or Pudding) from Tessa, the Domestic Diva
~ Pumpkin Banana Smoothie from Against All Grain
~ Pumpkin Spice Smoothie from Tasty Yummies
More Gluten-Free Pumpkin Recipes on gfe
~ Best Pumpkin Pie Ever (it just happens to be gluten free; no crust to make either!)
~ Pumpkin Mochi Muffins (gluten free and dairy free)
~ Pumpkin Pecan Pie (best of both worlds!)
~ Slow Cooker Pumpkin Butter (great for gifts!)
Originally published October 25, 2010; updated September 26, 2019.